SSANU ABU – Solidarity Forever
We remain true to the same principles on which our union was founded years ago: Uniting the working people of Nigerian Universities in the light of elite-driven identity politics, which has elevated regional, ethnic and religious considerations as the basis of political discourse and action.
In Solidarity (as of a group of unions) which produces or is based on unities of interests, objectives, standards, and sympathies. It refers to the ties in a society that bind people together as one.
Our Vision and Mission Statements
Our Vision; To deepen labour relations and enrich the procedure and process of enhancing the wellbeing/welfare of its members in particular and the generality of Nigerians and mankind as a whole.
Our Mission; Our mission is to create a viable Union that will not only achieve improvements in the welfare of its members, but that will a major player in the development of the education sector and the nation at large.
Aims and Objectives
The aims and objectives of SSANU ABU include the following:
- To organize into a single and coherent trade union and serve as an umbrella organization for all Senior Administrative, Technical and other Senior non-teaching staff of all Nigerian Universities and inter-University Centres who elect to be members
- To regulate the relationship between each senior non-teaching staff and another, and between the employers and individual member of the Union
- To work for the establishment and the maintenance of equitable, reasonable and proper hours of work, appropriate salaries and wages, as well as other conditions of service
- To establish and maintain a high standard of work, ethics, discipline and professional practice
- To work for the advancement of members of the Union by way of training, retraining and further education
- To provide benefit and assistance to Union members under the conditions laid down in the Constitution
- To encourage members of the Union to participate actively in the decision making process of the Union and to give support to other related activities of the University system and the Nation as a whole
- To promote, protect and advance the economic, social and cultural interests of the University system in Nigeria
- To motivate, co-ordinate, encourage and unite all members for the upliftment of the educational standard within the University system in Nigeria
- To engage in such other lawful activities as are compatible with the Trade “Union Law” and not inconsistent with trade union spirit and practice
- To promote and advance the economic, political and social rights as well as the general welfare of members of the Union
- To promote and sustain positive industrial relations practice in the Nigerian University System by strengthening collective bargaining between the employers and employees within the system